Sun Glasses and small glasses cases.

November 22nd, 2015

This week I have been creating more glasses cases. I use my screen prints, lino cuts and appliques to decorateĀ each case. The case is then quilted over the wadding, bound with a fabric bias strip, folded and the sides sewn together.

Glasses cases.

Glasses cases.

The first case has been hand dyed. The one directly beneath it, has been indigo dyed. The two centre ones are screen prints…..eastern spinebills and platypuses. The last one on the top line is a lino cut of gum leaves, nuts and blossom. The last case has been strip pieced using hand dyes and commercial fabrics.

Australian animals.

Australian animals.

Appliques and screen prints.

Appliques and screen prints.

Appliques and screen prints.

Appliques and screen prints.

In this last image, there is an applique gum leaf, and below that, a screen print of gum leaves. The other designs are also screen prints. The ink is heat set once dry, and the articles are then able to be washed by hand or by machine.

Lyrebird bag and case.

Lyrebird bag and case.

Some of the cases are made to match the walkers bags. The fabric here has first been hand dyed. The lyrebirds have been screen printed then quilted before the items have been sewn up.

 

Working with gum leaves

November 22nd, 2015

Out walking this week, I was finding fallen gum leaves in a fantastic array of colours. I picked up a few and brought them back to the studio. Using a pearl lustre base, I mixed up the colours of the leaves. Then I set about painting them.

Gum leaf variety.

Gum leaf variety.

 

Gum leaves.

Gum leaves.

Gum leaves.

Gum leaves.

After the ink was dry I used an Elna press to heat set the ink. Some of the pieces I thread painted over the top. Others I quilted and then ran a sewn line around the perimeter and centre line of the leaf. I used rayon threads and Sulky 12 thread as well.

Walkers bags.

Walkers bags.

Here are two walkers bags using hand painted gum leaves. The first bag has echo quilting around the leaf. The second bag has two strips of free motion machine embroidery, which reflects theĀ  commercial fabric I used for the lining.